Historic $1.2 Billion Investment will Support Floridians with Disabilities
APD Offers Waiver Enrollment to 2,499 Individuals
The Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) is offering Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid waiver enrollment to 2,499 individuals on the waiver waiting list. Everyone on the waiting list with critical needs as of November 1, plus students transitioning out of school will be receiving waiver enrollment offer letters within the next two weeks.
Governor Rick Scott is recommending $1.2 billion in total funding for APD, an increase of 23.6 million. This historic investment will eliminate the critical needs waiting list for the third year in a row, and help Floridians with disabilities live, learn and work in their communities.
Governor Scott said, “Florida has made significant investments in supporting individuals with disabilities, and I am excited to announce that we will continue on that path by eliminating the critical needs waiting list for the third year in a row. This historic investment will provide opportunities for Floridians with disabilities to receive the services and assistance they need to live more independently, find a great job, and achieve their dreams in our state.”
The “Florida First” proposed budget includes:
- $15 million to enroll more than 700 individuals with developmental disabilities on the critical needs waiting list to the APD Home and Community-Based Services Medicaid waiver. This is the fourth year the Governor has recommended money to serve those on the waiver waiting list.
- $10 million to reinstate Department of Education funding for the Adults with Disabilities program.
- $1 million for the Employment Enhancement Project to serve people on the waiting list who want to go to work. This funding will pay for supported employment and supported internship services for people with developmental disabilities.
- $2.6 million for staff to perform customer needs assessments using the Questionnaire for Situational Information.
- $400,000 for a Medicaid waiver Provider Rate Study.
APD Director Barbara Palmer said, “I deeply thank Governor Scott for his ongoing support of individuals with disabilities. For the fourth year, Governor Scott is recommending funding to move people off the waiting list. This money will allow everyone with critical needs to enroll onto the Medicaid waiver in the coming year. I sincerely appreciate Governor Scott’s confidence in APD and compassion for those we serve.”